jonmoniaci [at] gmail.com
With over 10 years of web development experience, I have worked in a variety of contexts and roles. As an open source advocate and user, I enjoy working on public-facing web systems that promote cross-user interactions, sharing, and collaboration. With extensive experience in LAMP-style stacks and MVC web frameworks (from systems admin to database design and optimization to JS UI development), I have recently been interested in asynchronous messaging and queuing systems, micro-frameworks, document-oriented databases, REST and Ruby. I also enjoy tinkering with the Arduino, composing and performing music and being engaged with the performing arts community in New York.
Jan 2011 - October 2011. Senior Engineer, Red Rover Labs.
- Implemented and designed administrative tools to support user management, venue management and statistical reporting
- Integrated third party "point of interest" (POI) databases to support location-based mobile search
- Developed business logic surrounding POI change-tracking triggered by admins, end users and periodic vendor database updates
- Created geo-based indexing schemas in SOLR and search algorithms to provide geo-relevant and contextually relevant venue/POI search results to mobile handsets and web clients
- Converted timestamp handling throughout the platform and stack to be timezone-aware (database, Rails-based API, and JS UI elements)
Oct 2009 - Dec 2010. Chief Technology Officer, Talent Maven.
- Led this early-stage startup from prototype through alpha and beta launch
- Hired and oversaw team of consultants to implement, maintain and iterate features
- Worked with site founders on developing goals, time-lines and budgets
- Migrated the code architecture from a vertically to horizontally scalable model
- Worked with vendors to integrate cloud-based storage solutions, CDNs and media transcoding
- Developed scalable processes for delivering compute-expensive social graph features
- Engineered web scraping systems for aggregating profile data across social media platforms
- Integrated internal systems via REST interfaces, including Apache SOLR, Ruby on Rails applications and CouchDb
- Integrated 3rd party APIs from Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, MySpace, HeyWatch!, Nirvanix SDN and Amazon Web Services
- Main site development in Symfony 1.2 (PHP 5.2) and Rails 3 (Ruby 1.9)
- Hosted on Slicehost using Nginx, Lighttpd, Debian GNU/Linux, MySQL, CouchDb, Linux-HA, Splunk, PHP, Ruby
Jun 2008 - Oct 2009. IT Consultant, Self Employed.
- Implemented interactive AJAX) web application for video sharing (PostgreSQL, Symfony, Kaltura video platform, jQuery)
- Created and maintain eyepaste an AJAX)-enabled disposable email system
- Modified Indexibit, an open-source light-weight CMS for jQuery integration
- Systems administration: Debian GNU/Linux, VMWare, XEN, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Slony-I, AMANDA, Apache 1.3/2.x, Nagios, PHP environments, FastCGI, ActiveMQ, DNS, TRAC and Subversion, Linux-HA, Postfix
Mar 2007 - May 2008. Chief Architect (Technology), Freelancers Union.
- Led four-person development team
- Set and oversaw coding standards, style and conventions
- Communicated between development team, CTO, and project manager
- Developed enterprise-wide application architecture
- Led enterprise-wide application integration (single sign-on, application messaging/integration, database design)
- Integrated vendor web service APIs into application architecture
- Designed and implemented asynchronous messaging libraries in PHP5
- Responsible for code quality and life-cycle
Mar 2005 - Feb 2007. Lead Engineer, Freelancers Union.
- Forensically migrated data from Microsoft CRM MS-SQL database to PostgreSQL
- Designed and implemented custom membership-based CRM in PHP4 through three major releases, overseeing development team
- Developed a PHP4 MVC framework to support in-house development
- Integrated 3rd party applications with in-house development
- Provisioned and maintained several Debian GNU/Linux servers
- Led an organizational shift to open source concepts and solutions
1999 - Feb 2005. IT Consultant, Self Employed.
- Graphic and presentation design, music composition, audio-for-web
- Scripted web sites in PHP, PERL, MIVA Script, ASP
BFA, University of Michigan (School of Music), Ann Arbor.
- Major in Performing Arts Technology, Music Concentration.
- Graduated 2003 with honors.
sound, experimental music, contemporary dance and performance, modern and contemporary fiction, coffee, home brewing, traveling, braised meats, bread, the internet, Barry Manilow